Some scratch building today!
Inspiration comes from the unexpected. That can be specially true when you have a deranged mine such as mine and you see things where normal people doesn't.
On a second read, that sentence sounds quite more terrible than I expected. I guess I'd better explain myself.
|What do you mean 'it's not getting better?'|
|A broken pencil sharpener, a piece from a ballpen...|
|...and some more random rubbish|
As the shape of the vehicle was kind of crude, I thought I could improve it with lollipop sticks.
|Patiently collected waiting for their time to come|
|They should be bars to be glued on both sides|
|Ugh. Big nope|
This is one of those times when the execution reveals you didn't get the right idea. Having the bars like that it didn't look as I expected. Instead of the shape I was looking for, it looked like a weird sci-fi sleigh. Which of course is legit, but it simply wasn't the thing I was after this time. So I took the bars out.
|This, however, looked much better to my eyes|
|Tubes and wires, final touch|
This was the basic thing, a tiny platform to carry small goods. A kind of cargo land speeder commonly used on backwater settlemets, that kind of thing.
Let's have a look to what could be done with the other piece. Second mule:
|Engine from a 40K Taurox that didn't need the piece anymore.|
This time the piece had quite a more interesting shape, it looked more like the hull of some barge or anything, so I thought I should add less bits and leave it more open.
|The pole is the rest of the lollipop stick I didn't use for the other mule|
I added a light on the front, a holster on the pole, because you never know when you can need a gun on the Dark Millenium after all, and tiny details here and there.
|Wires, wires everywhere|
I declared myself happy with both and went on the next stage:
I painted them at a time, so I could save some time when it came to inks, metallics and so.
For the first one I opted for yellow:
|Yellow is always a bad choice, I know!|
I used a brown/orange mix for the second one instead:
|Luke's speeder colour indeed!|
Let's get things dirty!
Much better. Now the metallics:
We're almost there! Final touches and...
|Ready to take your goods wherever you need, sir|
The bases were really simple. I used standard flyer bases, but couldn't use a mere standard transparent plastic rod, as it was too fragile for such a structure. I used a transparent cilinder (coming from a brush case!)
|It's not stupid if it works|
Here you have the final result:
|They look battered, but they are like new|
|The LGC-576 mule is a popular choice all along the Eastern Fringe of the Galaxy|
|Simplicity, durabilty, efficiency. Get your own now!|
|The LGC-841 model is quite a good choice too|
|You'll want to take your goods through the ash wastes in one of these!|
Just a few immersive (yet afwul) final pics:
|Come on! We're stuck again! Move your damn pile of junk out of there!|
|Looks like no one's moving from there in a while|
|That's right, take that turn slowly...|
|Rush hour is dreadful on these streets|
|Can we finally drop the boxes and hit the local tavern?|
As you can see I've deliberately kept them out of specific 40K flavour (no skulls, no purity seals...). I think they still work for my Rogue Trader kind of settings, but they can also be used for Firefly, Star Wars or any other kind of generic sci-fi ambientation.
I didn't sculpt or use any mini as a pilot, so I can use them in terms of game. I'm thinking of those narrative games in which you decide to steal a mule and flee from your pursuers, you know, that kind of thing ;)
Well, this is it. These have been enormously fun to build and paint, it was all just an impulse and I'm happy with the results. I hope I don't have these inspiration attacks too frequently, or else I'll keep the rest of my work at a standstill forever!