30/07/2023

Boarding a new project

 New crazy project starting now!

I have to admit that I've been working on this for some time, and my original plan was to have the whole project finished before I posted it all, but in the end I've decided to show the first part of it.

If you look back in the archives of this blog (or you've been over here long enough and have a real good memory), you'll see that back in the day I built a full 3D board for Shadespire, as I don't really enjoy playing on cardboard if I can avoid it.

I keep on talking about Shadespire and not Underworlds, because in fact I've never got the other games. That's why I took my chances and went 3D on it. Of course I wouldn't be able to storage full 3D boards for all Underworld Seasons, so I focused only on one. Given my number of games per year, it looks reasonable.

The thing is that, speaking of storage, my boards posed quite a problem. I simply couldn't make them fit in any shelf, wardrobe or whatever. So I had to make a difficult decision... and let them go.

I didn't have to put an Elsa costume on or sing let it go or anything, so it was easier than you think. I made a donation to a local club and moved on.

But moving on means... that I need a new version of the boards, but this time making them stackable! Right, of course it's the only reasonable thing I could do, why do you ask?

I need them to be fairly threedimensional, yet flat enough to allow storage. So with this conundrum I started my Shadespire.V2...

Here I go, again on my own...

The first setback I had to face is that the company that produced the boards I used the first time had unfortunately ran out of business. After some research, I concluded that my only choice was a shop called Customeeple, that produced hexed boards fit for the game. The only issue is that... they don't provide a single MDF piece, but two halves!! Right. Go see the pic above again and you'll get what I'm saying.

OK, some extra work, but still doable. I glued a reinforcement below and those hexes on top. Now I have a solid structure. Now let's think of the 3D aspect of it.

...going down the only road I've ever known...

That's the top height I was comfortable to afford. I provided five support points with the same height. So anything I stack over this board will keep horizontal. I checked several times, trust me :D

Well, let's add some salty details. As in my previous iteration, I'm marking the starting positions on the board with crystals; or more properly speaking, Wyrdstone. What can I say, I'm still oldschool. I added some skulls and rocks too, for some warhammerical ambientation.

No element can get higher than the five designated support points

Time for texture. Just DAS putty:

No need to cover everything, you just need to give an impression of an irregular field

Then I added sand, fine gravel and stuff

The same, but in the sunlight

The areas without sand will be some puddles, as this board will look like some puny marshes or something. Now it was time for some colour. I have only one trick here: throw all you have on the board!

You can't have enough tones of brown. Mix and try everything

After proper drybrushing to provide some homogeneisation, I painted the puddles. I had some doubts here. I should have painted them brownish, but then there wouldn't be any kind of visual contrast and it all would be too dull. So I sacrificed realism for conventionalism, and settled for blues.

Dirty blues, with a lot of greens and browns

OK. But for now the board looks like a weird desert. All that water calls for at least some grass...

So some grass it is!

With some true natural daylight

The same, but inside, so you can compare

I also added some bushes here and there

You may have been asking what are those three weird sticks on a row supposed to represent. Well, my intention was to have an old fence all shattered. All these pieces come from a Renedra kit.

I hope they finally make sense!

Let's have a look at the whole board:

Finally coming along

I mean, I could totally play here

I would ordinarily declare this board finished. But not today. I have a confession to make. I had been collecting falling leaves during all the Autumn, and using this puncher by Green Stuff World:

It can get repetitive, but the results are worth of it

The good thing of going out with the kids is that no one will judge you if they see you collecting hundreds and hundreds of leaves. I guess that seeing a bearded adult doing the same might look a little more weird. But I have also done it though.

I mean, I need a lot of leaves.

I know what you did last Autumn

I'm not showing the final bag I ended up with because it's ridiculously big even for me XD

Now it comes the time to apply the leaves on the board!

One by one, with a tiny drop of superglue

I even wanted to add more, but I had no sanity points left for it

You may probably come with an easier solution, but in the end this method worked for me, as it gave me full control of what I was doing and had no leaves unglued whatsoever.

Just a close-up

And again, an outdoors shot of the board, now definitely finished

This is what playing on it will look like

Final shot

I'm trying to find a balance between an hexed board (where you can actually see the hexes and have no misleadings about the tile your mini is on) and a natural, visually appealing display. I'm learning a lot and will definitely bring some of these techniques to future boards.

But for now what can I say? One done, three more to go! I don't know when will I start the second one, but I think I have some ideas of what I want to do...

24 comments:

  1. That looks a fantastic looking board Suber, love all the extra little details and foliage you've added, gives the whole board a sense of realism and plenty of points of interest, I think the colour you've got in the puddles looks pretty realistic, as you get pools that have green algae and all the other colours you've included.. Shame you had to get rid of your first boards, but you are doing a stunning job on your new ones, and also making it easier to store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I tried to make it essentially visual, something that caught the eye. There are different approaches to achieve it, but I found my way, so I'm happy with the result :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I still have to put my hands on the second one...

      Delete
  3. Desde luego, nunca cabalgarás el último Hype, pero da absolutamente igual. Cuando te pones manos a la obra, obras la Magia y vuelves a sacar otra maravilla, de un pequeño trozo de MDF.

    Me gusta mucho el contraste que le da el agua al tablero, mezclase con las hojas secas, (así me gusta, aprovechando a los nanos, para que trabajen a favor de obra).

    Otro gran trabajo, con ganas de ver por dónde continuarás con este pedazo proyecto.

    Enhorabuena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, la verdad es que esto tiene más de capricho que de otra cosa, pero era algo que me apetecía mucho, a ver si saco ganas para ponerme con los siguientes :)

      Delete
  4. Un tablero precioso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, cuando acabe los otros tres habrá que probarlos...

      Delete
  5. That looks awesome - great work! The hexes seem to be just visible enough without breaking the immersion - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Getting that balance was kind of my obsession, I didn't want super evident tiles, but they *needed* to be there, I hope I got something playable and appealing at the same time :)

      Delete
  6. That's very cool! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can have some games anytime soon!

      Delete
  7. Awesome terrain build really well done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Though it's quite time consuming, the results are rewarding, so I'm OK with it all :)

      Delete
  8. Great job Suber, nice balance between playability and style. Just needs a few figures on the gaming board to finish the board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Rob! I hope I can throw some minis on it soon!!

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous work on that board! You are a nutter tho for punching out all those leaves... Couldn't get into Underworlds (I got the very first game) or it's aesthetics though (So sold it on ebay), but I like your takes on the Sigmar figs that you have in the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, I also got only the first game, I was sure I didn't want to get into competitive game or long term investions, I just wanted a simple game to spend some time. About the aesthetics, apart from some specific commissions, I've tried to walk quite away from the official stuff.

      I made these Knights of the White Wolf :
      https://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/search/label/Shadespire?updated-max=2018-08-16T01:06:00%2B02:00&max-results=20&start=10&by-date=false

      My undead sigmawhatever:
      https://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/08/big-boned-sigmarites.html

      Khorne Gladiators:
      https://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/11/gladiators-of-khorne.html

      Old school looking Slayers:
      https://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/2019/07/shadespire-slayers.html

      And some more. Though weird, they are the kind of stuff you could find on, I don't know, Mordheim, or sometjhing like that :P

      Delete
    2. Went through all those links and your conversions are so much cooler than the standard sculpts! Now THAT's a game I would look forward to playing. (And for the record, I thought the Obelix dwarves looked super cool - but yeah, sadly too uniform for a group of slayers. ;(

      Delete
    3. Thank you!! I'm not an AoS guy, I'm afraid (to say it mildly), so I tried to do different things with these minis. I still have some bands I have to convert!

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, it looks fantastic! Tons of details, excellent painting and the pools look very realistic. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fake maple leaves from real maple leaves ... is this what they call meta? :) Well done Suber :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit, you found a glitch in the Matrix! Please, wait patiently on your screen, someone will contact you soon...

      Delete