05/07/2024

Banelord Titan

 After my recent incursion in old school Epic titans, I was a little bit uneasy. Those were cool, yeah, but I really didn't have any opposing behemoth, nothing that could ever stand against any of them. Well, yeah, techincally speaking I currently don't have any functional army of any faction whatsoever. But that's not the point. The thing is that I had this:

And had to do something about it

It's just the body and carapace of a Warlord Titan, but I think I needed little else to start with. I had a Banelord Titan in mind, the Chaos equivalent to a Warlord (and in fact it takes the very same model as a basis).

So I threw random stuff at the body

The organic arm is from an old Tyranid Biotitan (I used to have a few Epic Tyranids back in the day too, but now they're long gone), but I thought it might work on this project. Finding a suitable head was an issue. I considered some options:

Too terryfing, had to be discarded

I can work with this one

The head is a mask from the old WH40K Decimator. I would try to mimic the classic Bloodletter head. So I repositioned the horns and made an elongated head:

The first attempt was too crude and thick

Second one looked better

This turned out mostly as expected:

Don't step on my freshly cleaned flooooooor!!!

I'd say that this is roughly my idea:

Someone should tell him that smoking is bad for health

After some priming it began to look more coherent, if that's the word:

I ran out of black spray, so I had to improvise with what I had at hand

Some classic colours later...

I tried some plasma beam effect on the organic arm

A brief recap on the weapons. It's supposed to have a single mounted 6-missile launcher on the carapace, but also to have another gun on the tail. Though I considered adding a tail (and dismissed the idea as I didn't have any suitable bits for that), I wasn't ever putting a gun on it, sorry. So I'll put two weapons on the carapace.

First one was easy, as I had some Titan stuff remaining

But I had no clue of how would I scratchbuild a missile launcher, until I remebered the light of the old Leman Russ tank:

Those spikes always looked so Chaotic to me

Loudspeaker or missile launcher? You'll only know when it's too late

As I had added those bannerpoles (just a couple of nails!) I had of course to add... well, banners:

Arguably not my best job, but they'll work

So a Banelord Titan, you say?

Banelord Titan, or a really angry guy

Imperial designation Bloodshedder

Registered incidents through M.31 until present day

The Bloodshedder (formerly Augustus Gloriosus) is a Banelord Class renegade Titan, from the rebel Legio Sanguina. It's despicable actions have been recorded all over the galaxy across the millenia, and it is said to have vanquished several equal or higher class Titans (though a Vermillion Level authorization is required to acces to such data, so very few people within the Collegia Titanica are in disposition to confirm that information). Fear precedes its appearance, and it has a fierce reputation of always engaging directly the hardest opponent on the battlefield, no matter its Class or location.

The Battle of Cormorina VII, 4255634.M37

Well, I got the itch of Epic! I don't have any real plans, so I can't tell if I'll keep on building more stuff. However, I have some broken old bits and they might be usable, but I don't think it will happen in the following weeks. I'm currently working on different stuff, I'll try to have it finished through the month.

Cheers all, enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Another piece of art!
    Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A different project for a change :D

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! The adapted head is hugely effective - just the right level of detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At some point I considered sculpting it, but when I found this mask I knew I had a winner. It was a fun beast to build :)

      Delete
  3. This is one of your best! It's like a homage to the original using different bits. Really clever converting. It really captures the feel of the old titans in the blue Citadel catalogue. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I tried to go old school with this one, sure, and I went to the classics for reference, I hope I managed to catch at least a little bit of the spirit!

      Delete
  4. Excellent work Suber, on the conversion painting, and banners, it's better than a lot of the add on parts that were available at the time, some of those heads were awful ! LOL Looks straight out of a copy of White Dwarf at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I remember some quite odd heads, right! This one was suitable for my purposes and didn't feel up to looking for more options. I don't have plans for more Titans at the moment, but if the matter comes up, I guess I'll have to look for reasonable heads!

      Delete
  5. Nice conversion work! It looks amazing and brings back such fond memories of the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon! So good to have you back! Thank you very much! I'm in kind of a retro feel for Epic, I enjoyed doing this quite a lot. Unfortunately I don't currently have any real armies ready for duty, I guess I must do something about it...

      Delete
  6. That's a nice fix-up job, very much in the spirit of the original. Liked it more without the carapace weapons, but that's da roolz for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really great conversion from what most people would leave in their bits box.

    ReplyDelete