15/01/2015

Battlefleet Gothic. Ork Fleet (Pt. 1)

That's it, as you just read, I'm embarking myself in a whole new crazy project! I'm coming back to BFG after maaany years. I already have two fleets, an Imperial and a Chaotic one, but some months ago, thanks to a friend (thanks, Carlos!), I became the proud owner of an Ork fleet. This is what I got:
 
This is the 'before' pic. Long way till I get an 'after' pic

 
The mere idea of painting all this made me shiver, brrrr :S
Could I get something fresh out of this? Would I be able to paint them in a decent way and not make them look like rubbish? These models are not easy, if I was to make them look convincing I'd better approach the project at full strength. That's what took me these months, being convinced that I could make something worthy out of this.
I clearly didn't want just another generic fleet as everyone else has. I've always seen these ships painted in plain black with bright red additions, and that's pretty much it. If you are lucky you may find a Bad Moon Clan fleet painted in yellow. No, I didn't want that. Those colours make the ships look even more scrappy and dull, and I really didn't want black ships to play on a black mat.
So I took another different direction. I had quite a fair idea of what I wanted...

A hint...

Firefly.

You know what I'm thinking...

Reaveeers!!
 
Oh, c'mon, this is exactly how I see them; wild, harsh, in awful, dreadful ships. The current models already look like wildlings, so I thought this could work.
As my Imperial fleet is already painted in light grey, I opted for a beige/cream approach, something like that. I primed them in a creamy white and gave them a wash with Vallejo Earth Brown:
 
Hmmm... too shiny
 
I gave a second wash then, this time with a darker brown:
 
Now they look properly dirt

 
While in the middle of the process I was quite unsure of how this was going to turn out. I'm still a little scared about them looking too bright, but I have faith in my plan. They look dirty, but not too much, and they don't look like elegant brand new Eldar either :P

I've painted the metallic areas in black, and it's beginning to look like something:
 
Beginning to get some contrast...

33 ships. 33. Once again my sanity is going downwards

 
I know these are not many pics and doesn't look too much, but believe me, there are already some hours involved here. :D

More progress coming soon!

10 comments:

  1. Looking good so far! It's a surprisingly effective look for an Orkish fleet and will really stand out against a black tabletop! Can't wait to see them finished.

    On a side note, curse you for tempting me with spaceship miniatures! I am now having to exert all my willpower not to go in search of suitable proxy miniatures!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D :D It is your destiny, you know it...

      Delete
  2. Looking great !

    Great minds think alike, I've just fallen back into the arms of Space Fleet and am building an imperial force !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! You don't know hao pleased am I of hearing that!

      Delete
  3. Can never have enough orks...in spaceeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great project. I always liked Battlefleet Gothic, but missed out on the models. Will certainly be looking forward to seeing your flotilla take shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let's see where this leads to...

      Delete
  5. Magnifica idea, romper con el típico esquema orkoide no era una decisión fácil -como te gusta complicarte la vida XD- pero el resultado es muy prometedor...además, tomar como modelo los reavers de firefly no sólo es una buena idea sino que es todo un señor un friki punto ^^. Felicidades, veremos como acaba el panzón de pintar naves pero de momento tiene muy buena pinta. Carlos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Vamos a ver dónde acaba esto, pero creo que puede salir algo interesante. ¡Gracias por las naves!

      Delete