22/02/2016

Hakk Tee Mehl Idol

Today for something totally different!

Once you get into the cheap scenery world, you can't leave it so easily, huh? Some weeks ago, a friend unexpectedly gave me away some interesting stuff. Among it all, there was this tiny can of Actimel (it's a kind of liquid yoghurt or stuff like that, rather common in Europe, not really sure about other parts of the world, but for sure you get the idea).

Not trying to make product placement of any kind
Well, you see, the interesting part of it is that apparently they made some kind of promotion with a number of different faces. But this one would make a perfect dark, evil idol.
With some DAS putty and a piece of a branch I got from a park I soon came to this...

Hmm. Nope. Way too tall.
I had some problems about the crown or whatever I was going to put on the head. Everything I tried was quite over the top, even if I was reducing the shape of it.

'Over the top' may work for Peter Jackson, but not here
After some more experiments and a lot of doubts between Aztec or Chinese inspiration for the crown, I finally got this:

Not really sure about what I did
Not much to see in that pic. Let's try some colour and texture:

I pretended this pic to be clarifying
Then more colour and more texture:

Now we're getting somewhere...
With some vegetation...

Insert Dr. Jones here
Scale comparison pic:

It's Gork! Nay, it's Mork! Nay, none of 'em!!
Of course it's no big deal, and I could have texturized the stone and put some more effort on it. But given the time invested (just a few hours on the whole, all done using spare minutes between diapers, pacifiers and RealLifetm) and the raw materials, I think it doesn't work that bad!

But the real problem comes now, you may have forseen it: What am I doing with this lonely piece? Now I need a jungle board or something!

Ahh, life's so hard...

18 comments:

  1. I am sooooo buying actimel this lunch break...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there is one with an unsettling Cthulhu-like face, go for that one!

      Delete
  2. Everyone needs a jungle board! :)

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's right! Whenever I declare myself satisfied with my urban board, I'll go for it! :D

      Delete
  3. That's great Suber! Very quirky, but very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't aiming for anything elaborate, just a silly idea that popped up! Minimum effort!

      Delete
  4. Suber, that is pure genius! Love it mate:-) One thing that may be useful to you - I've found that GW Typhus Corrosion is a quick & easy way to add a little texture to things... that isn't a criticism, just something I've found that works well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Typhus Corrosion, I don't know the product, I'll look for it and have a look, thanks for the yip! Appreciated :)

      Delete
  5. Very clever and crafty of you Suber. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes less is more :D

      Delete
  6. Awesome work on a budget. But you must texturise the stone more. You must. Search your feelings you know it to be true. Fulfill your destiny and texturise the stone. - Could someone have been watching too many Star Wars reruns ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I'll try to dodge your Jedi mind trick... :D

      Delete
  7. Gran trabajo Suber!
    La "conversiรณn" es muy buena, pero pintarlo y que no se note que solo es un trozo de plรกstico... Muy bien, sรญ seรฑor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Es un trabajo muy simple, he buscado no complicarme la vida. ¡Me estoy aficionando a eso en la escenografรญa!

      Delete
  8. I really do love your terrain articles mate; it reminds me of Rogue Trader so much! This piece looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For sure that's the spirits behind all this. Finding inspiration in daily rubbish and trying to make it look... well, not so rubbish! :D

      Delete
  9. it is really cool to see how one person can transform what most people could think it is garbage into a cool piece of terrain!
    Congratulations!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I'm just in the middle of a Diogenes attack, I think :D

      Delete